Yum! These bars are the perfect pre-workout morning snack. Rolled oats, wheat germ, chia seeds and walnuts give them an extra kick of omega-3′s and fiber, and the splash of chocolate chunks on top makes them taste like cookies! And at 169 calories each, they’ll keep you full without breaking the calorie bank.
For those of you that are hooked on Fiber One bars, these are a great alternative – economical, preservative-free and tasty. Whip up a batch and stick half in the freezer – they’ll keep for a long time.
Makes 24 servings
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, salt, chia seeds and walnuts. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into 24 bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut!
Wondering where we got this cool nutritional label? Livestrong.com! Membership is free, and when you create a custom recipe the website provides you with a food label showing the macronutrient breakdown. Love it!